outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Joseph came in again

and we both watched the Roosters v Broncos match last night. I'm watching it for something to do and after being at church yesterday morning and spending some retreat and solitude time reading again the stories of the crucifixion and contemplating the meaning of executing God and the meanings that are drawn from that by the theologians and doctrinarians and grimacing at the savagery of the most civilised people at that time and wondering how little mankind had changed, then I needed to get myself into my own colosseum of my time lest I should become painfully morbid for no worthwhile reason. And so watching the Rugby League I have seen for the first time since I gave up playing myself a scrum in Rugby League. I would be ashamed to say I was a forward these days. These blokes and the regulators have brought disgrace to the game. When I played prop I went in and grunted and shoved and banged my skull against theirs but I have seen netballers and synchronised swimmers behaving with more grunt than these blokes. As for the head high tackles. What are these pretty boys scared of? They don't want to mess up the gel out of their hair or lose some teeth with a knee or sprig in the mouth by tackling too low? Fair dinkum I can't believe that people actually go to watch the game. Maybe it is marketed as a fashion parade? Now Rugby Union, there's a game where blokes are still blokes and where a scrum still means a scrum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home