outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, April 17, 2006

I employ a haus meri

but that does not make me a leader. Nor does it make me a manager. I employ her to do house work for me. I do not delegate house work to her. Delegation is about reluctantly and jealously giving up a task that I would love to do myself. I'm not that fussed about house work so I give it up because I don't want to do it myself. Actually I don't mind house work but here even on a volunteer's wage when I could better use the money myself, I'm justifying to myself that I'm doing something additional for the economy by employing someone. I don't employ a gardener. When I settle down I'm going to have a garden but I will do it myself because I would jealously regard it as a creative thing I wanted to do. If I needed to get a landscaper in, then this would be a delegation area rather than an employment situation. Unfortunately management science posits notions that good managers know how to delegate and poor managers mistakenly invert this to a non sequitor that "I delegate, ergo I am a good manager" when all the time the only thing they have done is employed someone to do a job they didn't want to do themselves. Delegators do not have to be always checking up on the delegate because they will have done their preparation and checked the credentials of the delegate before entrusting their vision to the delegate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home