outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, April 17, 2006

the funding of aid positions

Why should such a position be funded by an aid organisation? With so many calls on the Aid budget, how does an organisation justify why aid should go to it and not to one of the limp teated women with a forlorn baby sucking vainly on the end of it in Somalia? Education has helped so many people and let us not forget how the Romans civilised the Britains and so in my situation too Education is so important. So important that it is ahead of very survival? Hardly because Education is not much good if you are dead - I think?
Is the organisation not capable of funding the position accountably from its own resources when it can fund other positions from its own resources? I don't know how the politics of the situation works out. I'm glad to be a volunteer and able to help out because I have been given an opportunity to test my values in a situation which is unique for me and which I would otherwise not have had the opportunity to do. But nevertheless I do wonder. Equally I wonder about the programme itself if I am unable to achieve anything for want of policy and vision and consistent/coherent expectation of what the position was created to achieve. I assume the position had to be argued for and justified?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home