outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, April 20, 2006

how the protocol works

I resolved last night to go to the Pro VC to discuss the job issue of nothing to do but I was unsure of the protocol - whether he would see me or not. I was fortunate or maybe serendipitously he and I arrived at work together so after exchange of pleasantries I told him I was frustrated in my job owing to lack of something positive and constructive to do and I alerted to my opinion about the slack management and advised him of my model for getting things to happen and he received me well and I told him I would confirm our discussion in writing which I did just now. I say I was unsure of the protocol because the first time the acting HOD saw him he wanted to know if the HOD knew of the substance and I told him that with due respect the acting HOD had authority. It is very hierarchical and strict line management - everything goes through the HOD and before that the section leader but I went straight to the Pro VC and I feel a lot better about that. I was worried that acting HOD might be offended but I told him the story and he is happy about it because I think he too is getting frustrated by the absence of the HOD and the lack of leadership. This University is existing in maintenance mode and not very good maintenance at that - the Coffee shop problem, the catering problem, the maths professor's leaving, externalisation or lack of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home