outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, November 03, 2006

is independence "ours" to give?

On the way to work this morning a gentleman asked me if I had any work as he was a carpenter and handyman. I could not help out and on hearing my accent he told me he was "hamamas Australia kisim mipela independence". He was happy that somehow I was responsible for giving back to his country something that was his birthright. A more preferable understanding of what happens with independence would be that Australia was withdrawing from its colonial role and that PNG was reasserting its sovereignty. When slaves were "freed", what really happened? All people are born free so how can people be "freed" if freedom is a natural state? Likewise with independence. Independence was not Australia's to give but withdrawal was ours to do. We had to recognise the truth.
I find it uncomfortable that people address me as sir and even boss. I don't mind if my students call me Mr on account of my position, provided they call national lecturers Mr as well. I prefer first names but I get embarrassed that maybe I give off colonial vibes that invite the address of sir or boss. That is a terrible legacy of colonialism that it leaves people with an inferiority complex to this day which is evident in that they still use hierarchical language forms of address.

1 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Outback to Jungle, I hope you don't mind - I was checking out who else blogs from Lae and found your website. I have been very interested in your musings on living on PNG and your thoughts on the latest outcry in Australia... it's an interesting read.

Keep on musing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home