outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I'm just as intolerant as my neighbour

when it comes to what I perceive as unfairness and I suppose that is what makes me a human. I get fired up against the pack mentality as I did yesterday. I used to see so much of it in schools and I was a victim of it myself - the pack mentality and bullying that is. I never thought I would say it but thank God for people like Malcolm Fraser, former PM for his enlightenment on racism. This anti-Muslim staff has gone too far. Muslims, Christians, and Atheists are in Australia together and for this Carl guy on Ch 9 to be drawing a line between WE and YOU is intolerable. Carl, you've got a WOG name yourself as I understand so how would you like it if WE with anglo names distinguished YOU from US on the basis of your wog name (as happened after WW2)? That is what racism is about and as I understand it, racism and sexism are the same thing - distinguishing and attributing socially relevant attributes (such as respect, tolerance, dignity, honesty) on the basis of cultural or religious or gender or ethnic or any other IRRELEVENT attributes. If I told YOU Carl that YOU were not one of US on the basis of your wog sounding name I would be as racist as you are in telling Keysar Trad that HE had to tell HIS people to get real about what it means to live in Australia. HIS people Carl? HIS people? YOU don't get it Carl. AustralIANS are more tolerant than what YOU are. YOU are the one who needs to get real Carl. YOU and YOUR people Carl? Why don't YOU take YOUR racist attitudes back to where YOUR name comes from? YOU started this one Carl so get off the case of the Sheik Hilali and any other racist attitudes you've got and learn to live in an UN-RACIST Australia. You don't prove you are MORE Australian than others by being MORE RACIST. All that does is prove YOUR sense of insecurity. Don't take that out on others. YOU learn to deal with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home