outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, October 12, 2006

millions for literacy skills

in Australia for those who did not complete their schooling. Why? They had a choice then and now the taxpayers are to be giving them more money to do what they should have done when they had the chance. There are people here who would love the chance to go through a free and compulsory education system. In an economically developed country like Australia there is no need for people to drop out of schooling on economic grounds. They dropped out through choice to either opt out of this privilege because they did not LIKE school or they chose to so disrupt the education of other students that Principals had no other choice than to suspend them from school. I'm a left hander and I do not LIKE driving on the left hand side of the road. So what? Does that mean I can choose to drive on the right hand side?
I am not talking about the students who had difficulty with learning. I taught one boy who was mentally incapable of learning but he tried so hard and he finished Y10. I had to give him task activities - go and bring back three yellow balls and on the way to the sport shed give this to Mr Gary - to train his memory and co-ordination functionality. He completed his schooling and wherever he is now he is an asset to the community.
Why do the ones who chose to make life a misery for the teachers and other students deserve sympathy now? This society has been their plaything since they started school. On my first day one student came into the class deliberately belching and challenging me to stop him from turning the gas taps on. Oh look, I accidentally dropped a test tube. What are you going to do about it? You can't kick me out because it was an accident. He dropped out of school and now he is being offered a second chance? Too bad for the teachers and other students who had to put up with him. His attitude was "I can do whatever I like because I am a bully and you can't stop me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home