outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Saturday, September 23, 2006

there's a problem with getting my photos

to get through the system. The problem with the lines seems to be worse than usual and has been this way since I returned to Lae and it was particularly bad in the week I was back in Australia. I particulaly wanted to put my view from the Crowne Plaza Hotel up - as proof that I was there. On AVI wages, we don't get to stay at something like this and even on Uni business we stay in more modest accommodation.
Malaria treatment seems to be working, at least the cough has gone. I was relieved to be able to talk to Matthew tonight - I couldn't get him on his mobile all day but his battery had gone flat and was out fishing with a mate anyway. I got him a Dave Hughes comedy DVD and a Billy Connolly one and Christine said he brought it out to Ballina where they watched Hughesy last week after I had come back up here.
Talking about the malaria, I was doing a lesson and I interrupted to tell the students about it. It's Vivax Malaria I told them - little grubs hide in the liver. I think there's one coming out now. Got him. And I put the imaginary grub on the table and hit it with my sandle which I had kicked off. They seem to relate to a quirky sense of humour which is why probably the student felt confident in coming to me yesterday. I enjoy teaching them. I've got to do a lecture to 700 on Monday. They sit in two amphitheatres and the lecture is videod across.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home