outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Vivax malaria

I had a blood test done on Tuesday morning and I went in to pick up the results yesterday. The Sister announced "Vivax" in a tone that I thought was alarming. Do I need to go to Hospital? An ambulance? Evacuation to Cairns? The previous malaria about a month ago was Falcifarum but Vivax apparently hides in one's liver. The symptom with it that I have which alerted me that something was wrong was a niggling cough. Previously I had had a hoarse and sore throat which alerted me to the Falcifarum malaria. So the Sister put me on three tablets at once only of Fancida, 4 tablets at the same time of Chloroquin and 6 tablets at the same time of Primaquin. Then daily I have to take 2 each of Chloroquin for a week and of Primaquin for 2 weeks.
Other than the cough I feel alright but as I said before, I don't like the idea of little creepy crawlies living inside me. Shika and Atul ran out of gas last night and so Shika brought around a typical Indian dish to cook. That's a nice way to spend an evening. Not that it any comfort, but most of my friends get malaria more regularly than I. Maybe I have had it before but have not noticed the symptoms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home