outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Saturday, September 16, 2006

the frightening - for me - is that

I am not going to change the world. I was on the bus from Grafton to Lismore via Maclean, Evans Head, Coroki and I was listening to these two mature age gentlemen. Both were in their eighties. "I can't see out of this eye Arthur and with the other one I can just make out that it is daylight. I'm living in an independent villa. I cook for myself - just basic stuff like sausages and steak." That is going to be me in thirty years time. Hopefully? Regretably? It depends on what I do in the meantime. What else is there? I'd love to find a soul mate in one of my loves - politics, world peace, languages, theology-church.
I was talking to Jane in Armidale about my essay on Les Liaisons dangereuses. We had the meweting in the Principal's flat at Mary White and when I walked in there was ABC Classic FM on. It turns out that Jane is married to Charles Southwood afternoon presenter) who is retiring soon. He has lots of other passions he wants to pursue. Luck will find you when you are worth looking for was a favourite line from Margaret Paice (Valley in the North?) - children's fiction and I think about it often. On finding soul mates CS Lewis cautioned that soul mates are found in the thinbgs you do. With so many people, soul mate finding needs to be broken down into sets in the community - you cannot just walk into the street and find a soul mate. Which is why the breakdown in community creating the virtual society existing through internet and TV is such a problem. What is the point of protecting this decrepit moribund soul-less community from terrorists? Why would they want it? Jesus warned not to build up treasures on earth where moths and rust corrupt. Instead he said, build up heavenly treasures. Such as?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home