outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, September 11, 2006

hey there George, you want me

to feel sorrow and righteous indignation with you? Well give us back one of our citizens you've been holding captive for five years and I might understand what you're talking about. You rabbit on about freedom and liberal democracy and justice and Christianity and holiness. George, what do you mean? One of our blokes has been in one of your gaols there since 2001. Habeus corpus George means the COURT not you personally has got the body George. Yairbut George, that's not the way it works. YOU have to hand the person over to the trial so the trial can make a decision George. Yairbut you're not Charles I, George. Naa, but President is still good George. Remember that was over 300 years ago - we've moved on George. You've gotter give him over to the COURT. Naabut George, George, listen up George willya, that's what democracy and civil courts and rule of law and all that is about. Yair, I understand I know you reckon he's guilty George but I reckon you're guilty of an unjust war in Iraq George but where does that get us? Y'see George, JUSTICE is all about hearing FACTS not OPINIONS d'ya see George? Yair I know that back in the olden days y'could just lynch'em and hang em'high George but we tell people we're sort of more CIVILISED, y'know not BARBARIC anymore George, know what I mean? Yair I know it's tough George but that's what justice and liberal democracy and Christianity and holiness is all about George. They are OUR values George and no terrorist or no-one is going to take them away from us right George?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home