outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Saturday, September 09, 2006

back in lismore

I arrived in Lismore Friday afternoon 4pm or thereabouts after having left Pt Mot\resby on the early 7.30 am flight. I transitted avernight from Lae at the Comfort Inn. I walked over to the Chinese restaurant in Boroko by myself and nearly got myself lost on the way home. It was sort of a bit intimidating - there were no other wait men in the square and a few people I could sense were eying me off but I just walked quickly and I was relieved to get home. You get the jitters when you hear so much bad publicity. I am sure most people who were about and there were some security guards among them would have come to my rescue.
Anyway it was good to see Matt again. He is in a quandary about what to do - he is only working casual at the Irish Hotel, today he is in charge of the bar for the Rugby Grand Final and tomorrow we will go up to see Mum. Hopefully his Mother will be here in the next little while. He is very independent but he just cannot see a direction - he knows he is at his limit with doing any more pub work and is enjoying just working in a mechanic-car detailing hard dirty work job. I told him I felt like that at his age and I was going to go off and join the circus. I pulled down the tent and packed away the seats but reality of smelling the animal manure clothes of the carnies brought me to my senses. He loved his time in Lae but told me last night his reality moment came at the Airways stopover when he realised he was going back to an uncertain future. So I am glad to have been able to get this time to help sort through some reality and future directions issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home