outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, September 07, 2006

my Mother attends the same Church

as a bloke who used to be in gaol for armed robbery I think it was. I've met him and shaken his hand and we have shared the greeting of the "Peace of the Lord". The last time I saw him he had his 10 year old son with him in church. He doesn't seem to hang around after the service. When I was doing Theology, several of the students were involved in pastoral visits to the gaols and one student talked about visiting a paedophile, the most reviled of people in society as well as in prison.
So I wonder how victims of crime and particularly victims of violent crime must feel about others seeing any sort of common ground of humanity in a criminal? "There but for the grace of God go I?" It must be very difficult. How can you even shake hands with a criminal? It took me a long time to look at let alone shake hands with the bloke who ran off with my wife. He is certainly not a friend but I try to be civil for the sake of Matthew. And that was an adultery case. What about a rape or murder or drug trafficking criminal? The wisdom of Solomon and Hammurabi - what would they say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home