outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

students are still deservedly on a high

after the hugely successful Students Cultural Festival. It left me feeling on a high myself. I went to rehearsals one night last week; I had heard the bands rehearsing during the previous fortnight; I went to the opening ceremony on Friday; I went to the festival on Sunday. There were no classes on Friday. There was a staff strike on Monday. I had one class today at which 2 students turned up. There was no water this morning. The electricity was on then off then on then off again. The admin decided to close the campus. The Library closed. I had a 400 level research student to meet. It is mid-semester break on Friday. Assignments are due. It is all too much. It is all happening. Take a break. There has been too much on.
Concerning the previous article. It sounds a bit dramatic don't you think? PNG on the verge of collapse? Infrastructure is worn out; corruption is bad; management needs to be skilled up; my haus meri is looking for more work as her previous employer (a wait man) left. Things can be frustrating and if I were not working I might agree with the article. As it is, I am working and enjoying it. I hope this is a permanent state and not a side effect of malaria.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home