outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, September 04, 2006

"You're not listening to me Steve,

You're trying to shout me down just because you've got control of the switch.
"You're nothing but a left wing whinger who ought to be grateful I've even taken your call. Crawl back into bed with your commie and boogie-man and terrorist and anti-American friends.
"Oh, that's real intelligent Steve. That contributes a lot to intelligent and rational debate. Why did you invite me onto your programme if you don't want to hear an alternative point of view? This is a free country where free speech is still allowed.
"They don't want to hear you, you clown. They tune in to hear me put ratbags like you down. Click"

Such is talk back radio. When I was in the Motel at Armidale I used to listen to it as I went around doing the rooms. Then a couple years ago at the time of the sentencing of Amrozzi in Indonesia I was driving to work in Annandale and I had talk back on and these frothing at the mouth aussies were raving about what the sentence should be - castrate him and put him in one of our strip joints; put him in a tub of pig fat and feed him pig intestines; etc. I rang up (more fool me - I naively thought the aussies were a minority then) to suggest they listen to their idiocy and hysteria and frenzy and wonder what makes us any better than the bombers themselves. Going back to Australia for me? Why. It is more my country, the country of Australians than it is the country of the aussies who have slyly and insidiously over-run it. I want to reclaim it from the aussies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home