outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

no sooner had I got home from Rotary

about 9.30 last night than I heard Joseph the security guard call out "'Ullo" - possibly about 10pm. I went out and there was Joseph puffing and panting, "wara, me laikim kol wara" and I said what's happened and in my best tok pisin I will try to recapture the essence of his story. "Tripela rascols mi harim na mi kisim upsait long ditch na tupela emi go we tasol mi kisim wonpela na security guard kam. Tupela rascols kisim guns na narapela kisim busnaip." The only weapon Joseph had in his hand was a shanghai.
Last Friday night at the end of Sepic drive - about 200m from my house, rascols held the wife hostage while they took the packed up possessions of the family which is moving to Australia for the husband completes further study.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home