outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I tested positive to malaria

10 days or so ago. I had a cough and hoarse throat and some nasal congestion but it was the hoarse throat that concerned me enough to get myself checked for malaria. "You'll know if you've got it" I was told. Fever, lethargy, head-ache, very weak. I had none of these symptoms.
I hate the thought of little creepy crawlies being inside me. I asked for artimetre instead of chloroquin. I feel back to normal - no flu type symptons. I was worried about loss of weight. I was 93kg before coming here and am now about 86.5 - 87kg. A loss of 6kg has made me look thin around the shoulders and chest. I thought maybe I hadn't been eating red meat so I have been eating steak over the last four or so days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home