outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

the speech I would love to hear

"Men and Women of Australia. It is without shame that I echo these famous greeting words of PM Curtin. But it is WITH shame that I acknowledge that I was not the strong leader that this country needed five years ago. At that time, I copied the policies of the Government for what I assumed would be political gain - MY political gain. I was not the leader of principle that this country needed. I can live with the fact that my weakness then cost me politically. What I cannot live with is that my weakness - by failing to stand up on principle for the Tampa and other refugees - has cost this, my country its international reputation, and the refugees themselves dearly. I personally have learnt my lesson. I regret the sacrificial price paid by my country and by the refugees on account of my weakness. I made a mistake. And for that I ask for your forgiveness. If you can forgive me, and if you will forgive me, then let me pledge that this election will be about matters of principle. This election is about the ideals of principle, honour, integrity, and pride. This election is not about the economy or taxation or interest rates or health or education of defence or terrorism or security or the aging population or rural drift. As humans we have lost our way. It is time once again to shine a light, to rekindle the beacon on the hill and to re-own what it means to be human. I am sorry this is five years late but let me take you on my path of principle to show you my programme of re-owning ourselves by re-owning our communities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home