outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, September 22, 2006

where heroes abound

As a young teacher in western NSW I never heard any heroic stories of ex-pupils. But as I moved further east, I would get swamped on my first night in town when standing at the bar and it would be discovered I was a new school teacher. Well did the heroes come running to tell of their and their old mans' exploits with the last headmaster but one. "Mate, he called me into his office and he hit me with the cane and I grabbed it and wrapped it around his neck." "Mate, he called me into his office and as he was going to hit me with the cane, I ran out the room. I came back with my old man and he grabbed the cane and shoved it up his @#%^." I'm so glad I wasn't a headmaster in those wild and violent eastern towns. It's a wonder Byron Bay* could attract any headmasters at all.

* Byron Bay. Most easterly point on mainland Australia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home