outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, September 21, 2006

dealing with outrage: a victim at Unitech

"Dear all, We strive in life in whatever beneficial occupation not only for our personal and family comfort and convenience, but also that our neighbours, our beloved nation, our people, or at least those who cross our paths might enjoy a speck from our achievements. And we always desire that the benefits others receive from us is through goodwill and via generous consent and not through forceful acquisition and mischievous demeanour of sort. Unfortunately, as many of you may have already heard, and in my absence on study leave, my family was a victim on Friday (1/9/06) to some of our own citizens, whom regrettably our society has come to accept as "criminals". The modern armour they used was not against an international enemy in some warfare or against a traditional rival in some tribal conflict, but against a harmless family, whose members toil daily to contribute to the nation's coffers so that these "criminals" might receive sufficient medication, travel on better roads, and generally receive other government services. As a family, like any hard-working citizens and non-citizens, we annually contribute significant sums in income taxes, let alone goods & services taxes, to indirectly assist our brother and sister citizens. Nevertheless, some of our own people thought these was not enough! They came and took that which pleased their eyes, fruits of our sweat, from our home that day. I can spare some peace that my wife, my daugters, my sisters, and my nieces were untouched.Now, I am wounded in the mind. My family's traumatic ordeal has occurred only a few days from my beloved nation's 31st anniversary, where we are expected to sing, "...we are independent and we are free..."; and at the anthem's end, "...shout again for the whole world to hear..." Through our national anthem, which is our pride, we are assured of our freedom and safety. We are urged to shout again that this is the nation of our dreams, and a place we desire our children journey through joyful time and space. Unfortunately, our selfless service to our people has been rewarded with the traumatic experience. Our pride to sing for freedom and safety has been paid with a psychological wound. Should we serve? Should we sing? We are indeed mystified! In revenge, I could opt for assistance from my "bubu's black bilum" (a RIGO measure!) and invisibly track my assailants until all drew their last breath. But, to kill a citizen is to kill myself! Or I could accend a mountain and pray for divine lightning bolts to strike my enemies. But, I do not consider myself holy enough to draw that response; even if I were, the Maker would likely forbid the scheme. BUT, I HAVE VOWED TO FIGHT! AND IT WILL BE A DIFFERENT BATTLE...
To those Christian brothers and sisters, colleagues, friends, and relatives, who comforted my family after the ordeal, and assisted in any way, I owe you my deep gratitude."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home