outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, September 22, 2006

I am always intrigued and bemused

when I hear and see the line "poor/sad/misguided/pathetic/ignorant/bitter/and warped soul" or some variation on it. Intrigued because I wonder why one would have those sentiments about a mate in "Mateship Australia" and not do anything about it to alleviate the perceived misery of the addressee? Bemused because I wonder if like the bully, the addressER is actually feeling that way about themself?
I myself am reluctant to say "I am sorry you have those sentiments" lest it be taken as patronising. I have read and heard the line in letters to the ED, at public rallies, the back of toilet doors, movies and I received one myself the other day in a comment. I am perplexed. I don't want to sound patronising but I would hate to think if there is someone out there in need crying out for help through the transferrence of of their pathos vicariously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home