outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Saturday, September 23, 2006

there are no easy solutions

to some of life's problems. Yesterday afternoon a student came to me with his essay and he needed to talk. He is far from home and I felt honoured that he chose me, an ex-pat wait man to help him, a Melanesian, talk through the problem he had. I could only listen and encourage him and I gave him my phone number in case he needed to talk ove r the weekend.
Life in the dorms can be lonely, particularly if one is feeling down and everyone else is enjoying sport so I wanted to make sure someone was there for him. As I said, I was happy he chose to come to me. After a while I got one of the national to help me and hopefully between us we were able to help the situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home