outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, July 10, 2006

my greatest pleasure in PNG

is talking with the security guards at our flats. Peter and Joseph work very long hours. Unfortunately I am not allowed to invite them in any more - while they are in my haus they are not checking on the security around them so I have been told it is not appropriate. They like to watch the footy so I turn it on and they can watch from outside but I get embarrassed that this does not seem hospitable. The residents take tea, coffee, cold water and something to eat to the guards. I feel particularly sorry on the nights when it is raining. Peter and Joseph and my work colleagues, particularly my supervisor John, and the members of my congregation, Fr Stanley, Harold, Justus, Garfield, the choir, the many Sunday School children, these give meaning to my stay in PNG. The PMV travellers and the kind people who watch out for my safety around Eriku.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home