outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

the sins of the fathers

being visited upon the children yea even down unto the third and fourth generation. What if I am a colonial exploiter, paying my labourer a wage not worthy of her hire? I don't want my actions to backfire on me and my family in future generations. Therefore it is astounding that we in the West have suddenly become so wise that we can tell the Indonesians about justice and colonial practices with the West Papuans and that we can tell the Singaporeans about hanging and the Japanese about whaling. Sorry I don't remember Twofold Bay. Just like I wasn't around when David ben Gurion was terrorising the British Colonial Headquaters in Palestine. I'm sure he could not have been a terrorist though otherwise Israelis would not condemn terrorism with such intensity. They would hardly condemn something which they practised themselves now would they? Just like the anti-whalers. I'm sure Moby Dick was never written. I'm sure there is no such place as Twofold Bay or Eden in NSW. Myall Creek and Aboriginal massacre? Sorry, never heard of it. Macquarie Island and Port Arthur? Convict prisons? Sorry, you are mistaken. They were film sets - pure fiction and fantasy. Guantamo Gaol? It wouldn't surprise me what those communists and Castroists got up to. Pure propaganda dear chap, pure propaganda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home