outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Abu Bakr Bashir, Buccaneers, Cortes

the Visigoths, Huns and Vandals and Slavetraders. None of my family was killed in Bali or the Madrid train or the London bus or the New York twin towers. None of my family was taken as a slave to America or Arabia. None of my family in recent history had the flesh flogged off their backs. None of my family had our land overrun and confiscated and possessed by a colonial government in which they had no representation. None of my family was massacred at Myall Creek. None of my family was exterminated by being fed poison flour. None of my family was rendered or imprisoned in Guantamo or Auschwitz concentation camps. So today on the release of Abu Bakr Bashir I should not say anything about the release of this man. On a matter of perspective though, I pay my haus meri K20 a day which is about $A8.80 or thereabouts on the current exchange rates. That is a daily rate. In Australia that works out to be about an hourly rate at MacDonalds. Am I an exploiter? Marmalaide jam costs K11; twin pack Kleenex toilet paper K3.5; 250g Coon cheese K6.8;2l milk K7; 50pk tea bags K3.47; 440g Baked Beans K3.28; 680g loaf bread K3.30; topside mince K16; Scotch finger biscuits K5.5; Eggs 1dz 60g K5.7; Stuffed Olives Black&Gold 500g K10.7; Peanut Butter 200g K5.02; Vegemite 200g K5.8; Weetbix 375g K6.8. Fresh vegetables are a lot cheaper though - so K20? Fair or unfair?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home