outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

how do you know when it comes

to making life's choices? Am I destined and determined so that I only have apparent choices? When I left Brisbane nearly 8 months ago, when i looked at the navigation screen of the 767 at 60 km from departure, when after the flight had shown a movie and the navigator screen showed as well into the Coral Sea and 200kn from destination, and when after being in PMoresby for a week's cultural orientation I flew over the Owen Stanley Range, and then there was the Huon Gulf under me, and the F100 descended and lined up for Nadzab airport, I was aware of my having made a life changing decision. Would I like it, would I cope, was I fooling myself, would I be back no sooner than having arrived? What if it were all too strange? After all I had been there before - the all too strange bit, not PNG per se. The Hostel at Dubbo as an 11 yr old; my first job at the steelworks in Wollongong; St Paul's at Sydney Uni; Barraba, Mooney Mooney, Bellbrook. Not so much Wilcannia and Moulamein. Some places I adjusted to better than others. It depended on the comfort zone I had just left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home