outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, June 09, 2006

I was a bit offended

at Rotary the other night when I was fined for not having been at the working bee last Saturday and doubly so for not being at the ball and trebly so for not telling anyone. The fine session is supposed to be a light hearted dig when things go wrong. However when my integrity is impugned or indeed when anyone's integrity is impugned, that is not right. I had turned up for the working bee at the LAE inter and I did not see the Sergeant at Arms there but he was prepared to fine me for not being there? I looked around at the President and Larry and Milton who would vouch for me and for the young lady whose fare I paid after leaving the working bee. Furthermore I had told the club at the previous meeting of my circumstances - that K250 was too much on volunteers' wages and I even offered at one stage to serve drinks - except that was taken care of by the professional staff at the hotel. Rotary is a service club and members are expected to do service. You can't be a Rotarian and not do service and that is why I was offended. Rotary does good work but it cannot afford to impugn members' integrity no matter in how light hearted a way particularly when the facts are WRONG.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home