outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

where do you think TI

got its money from to come here? Like Amnesty and others, people around the world put in $15 or $30 a month to put their money where their mouth is. Members ring up for publicity, they travel to a committee meeting, they come up here. No donor country paid for their expenses. If you believe, then you pay. I am a Volunteer: I am on Nationals level wages when I could be on Australians level wages back home. But I do this because I CAN and I WANT to. Haus meris come to wait man to look for work when I am on the same wages as other people around the University. Why do they come to me when they could go to other Nationals to ask for work? Because there is NO CULTURE that their own people can do things or that their own people have PRINCIPLES. So it COSTS me to employ whom the National doesn't employ himself; it COSTS me to forsake my Australian income; it COSTS me to go to Church and Rotary. If I didn't believe in it I wouldn't pay. Transparency International needs people of goodwill to share its principles and who are prepared to PAY out of their own pockets to stand up and be counted for having beliefs about the better governance of PNG. Until PNG starts to do that then it will need to suffer the taunts of "FAILED STATE"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home