outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

the other area students struggled over

was about taking one's principles into the political arena. It is understandable when this has become a "natural donee country" that students would think they could be paid for taking the fight for political integrity principles into their villages - they thought there was fund from a donor country that would pay their travel, accommodation, time, leaflet purchase, phone calls, photocopying. A few students did not understand that the fight for principles was a sacrificial fight - you don't get paid except for the reward of the love of your principles. The democacy fight has been going on in the West for over 2000 years and it is not over. I've stood as an independent candidate and I paid for petrol for my car to get around the electorate, I slept in caravan parks and national parks in a tent, I boiled a billy and cooked tinned Irish Stew over an open fire. I paid for advertising and I used my own phone and answered it myself. But I believed in what I was doing. The sitting member drove and sometimes flew around his electorate at taxpayer expense. He stayed in motels and ate at restaurants for breakfast. His secretary answered his phone. He got a postage allowance. He didn't pay for any of this. The taxpayers paid his expenses. But I believed in what I was doing. PNG, you've got to start believing in something!

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home