outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

bank security

I asked one of the bank managers the other day about bringing a cash service out to the University on pay days and luckily I caught him as he took an apoplectic fit and didn't hurt himself too much. When he came to, I heard him mumble something through the boos and jeers and hisses - directed at me for saving him - that no staff would be game to go out there point 1, and point 2, security provision would be too prohibitive. So yesterday, and it has happened to me before, I was directed right away from an armoured vehicle out the front of the bank. The security guards explained to me that in the event of an attempted robbery, the public were kept well away from the van and the bank in case bullets started to fly. As for getting in to the bank, there is an entry air lock and an exit air lock. Only one booth works at a time. You enter one door. It is locked. Then the exit door is released. On exiting the bank, you enter the exit booth and the process is repeated. If there are people in both booths at once, one booth is let out, its doors are locked and then the other booth is released. Besides, there are security guards with metal detectors. When I bought my bush knife they took it from me for collection when I had exited the bank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home