outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, June 15, 2006

I knew I wasn't imagining

the place that is Eriku. Mate A who sent me the PMV article the other day sent this one over today and he assures me it is not a wind up.
"Please clean Eriku
I AM frustrated at seeing changes in Lae City. One of the places is the Eriku section. It is a place where drunkards, shoplifters, robbers, beggars and fortune hunters . . . the list goes on. It has become a place where there is no peace. Can the authorities clean up this section of the city by putting some regulations to be followed. – Eriku Observer, Lae"

On crowded pay days when there is money around, as this writer observes, Eriku abounds in rogues. It must be like Port Jackson (Sydney) was in the olden days of rudimentary European settlement when convicts and petty rogues and villains made it a very unsavoury place. I don't know why Police do not put officers on duty there and at the Top Town PMV station at busy times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home