outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

alepam oxazepam

that was the drug the doctor put me on to help me get through until the Zoloft kicked in. He warned me it was addictive and I did not want to become dependent on sleeping pills because I think it is a sedative. A year later and I've still got 1 and a half of them out of the only batch he prescribed - 25 tablets - just in case. Once you've had this type of scare you lose confidence. What if it happens again? Will you cope? I think I was on half a tablet am, half pm and one before bed. Australia has just finished Mental Health awareness week and I consider myself fortunate that someone realised I needed support before it was too late. Dear friends in the bush lost their son to suicide the Christmas before last and it is a real problem in this harshest of droughts. Former Premiers Gallop and Kennett know what mental health is about as did Churchill the Great - the Black Dog as he called it. Of course one wishes one were normal - but how normal is normal? I'm healthy in other areas of life so I should not feel any more embarrassed than someone with a heart condition or cancer or a sore leg. Mental Health does not affect one's ability to act with principles, to consider the other, to think rationally, to worship God, to pay taxes and to respect the environment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home