outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, February 10, 2006

not busy at work

Over the last 10 days I had been working on two inservice courses which I have to present to the lecturers to help them write courses for distance learning mode students who are otherwise independent learners. I've done these now and I am just waiting for feedback from the supervisors in my section. There is much confusion here about the direction of distance learning which is why John and I are going to Divine Word about 23,24 Feb and hopefully to Univ PNG in Port Moresby after that. Lecturers here are concerned that students who get their matriculation via distance mode are the ones who were not clever enough to get it through selective high school means and they are going to be flooded with dummies if the intake doubles the number of students. There are so many philosophical issues to be considered not to mention the practicalities of getting teachers to teach the increased number of students if we can get distance university mode operating. My job so far as instructional designer is to prepare courses to help lecturers transform their lecture face to face notes into notes that independent learners can make sense of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home