outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, January 30, 2006

how did he know my name

How did the conman know my name? It's disarming isn't it when someone approaches you and they immediately have the advantage on you in that they know your name. You begin to doubt yourself that you must be rude in having forgotten them. It is even more difficult working in a foreign culture where forgetting a name could even be construed as racism - ahah you've forgotten my name because you think all of my race look the same - you only notice the colour of my skin, you do not see the particularities that make me me in my race.
On the way home I changed buses at Eriku and waited for the connection which is sometimes difficult. I was almost immediately approached by an acquaintance who could see I was probably nervous because I was wandering about not sure of which part of the bus interchange I should be standing in. Itll be alright - just stand here and the Unigate bus will be along shortly. Then two more young people came up and said You must be going to Unigate. Wait with us, we'll show you.
What a difference to being intimidated by the con man. Fortunately, most people I've met in PNG are like these considerate people. I hope my countrymen back in Australia are considerate to visitors. I think most of them are but the problem with big cities like Sydney is that you don't know who is a visitor and who might be a con man and people opt for the easiest option which is not to talk to anyone. What a dreadful way humanity has gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home