outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, February 09, 2006

burning rubbish

On first arriving I thought the burning rubbish every evening in Boroko was just a one off occurrence possibly owing to a breakdown of a rubbish truck. But it is regular. Every evening the street litter is burned and it smokes and smells. There are rubbish spots where people spit their rich scarlet spittle betel nut juice and this is burnt up along with plastic and cardboard and anything else. The moist betel spittle makes it smell the most disgusting odour. And then I remember the streets around Newtown-Enmore-Marrickville where people used to spit out yellow-green phlegm and the next breath they would tell you how civilised they were. I used to be a barefoot person but you'd never do that in Sydney or here for that matter. The Bourke of my youth was a barefoot town - except for the heat of the day which burnt the soles off my Dad's feet one day. Nowadays it's broken glass that is Bourke's problem.
As for work, I've had good discussions with Chris in Mathematics and Ken in Business Studies over the last couple days and John (my immediate supervisor) and I are to spend two days at Divine Word University Madang towards the end of February.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home