outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

sad things

I went to a Friend's asde avinun for coffee and what I am about to tell you might sound as though I am hung up on dogs, however we were told by AVI that there would be things on our assignments that we would see that would make us uncomfortable or angry or weep. I think I told you about the sorry state of dogs before, but this poor one asde, its ungelded testicles hanging limply from hip bones and its ribbed skeleton frustrated me. Frustrated? Is that all? Three months in the country and already I am inured? But as well as the ugliness I saw the beauty. My friend took out some dog biscuits and sat with it, cuddling its head as it refused to eat. Such might life be - its good to smell the roses but I do feel guilty that I cannot do more for the dogs whose diet in some of the less generous places seems to be fish and chicken scraps if they are lucky. Patch's coat is even shiny now and I saw a dog at Church last Sunday whose coat was even shinier. I got jealous about that and went home and brewed up a shiny coat concoction - mince, rice, pumpkin, taro. Isn't it funny that while the rest of the world is thinking about the Oscars and Iran and nuclear weapons and the Danes rudeness in ridiculing another people's religion that here I am in PNG pondering the plight of one dog and marvelling the coat of another. Smelling the roses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home