outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, February 02, 2006

why the title

Each time I have opened my blog I have meant to explain it. I began 2005 in western NSW Australia at Bourke on the Darling River, rainfall about 300ml perannum, shade summer temperatures regularly 45 degrees, river width about 60 metres and in late October I moved here to Lae, PNG, jungle climate, rainfall measured in metres per annum, high humidlity keeps temperature to about 33 degrees, river width of the Markham River about 2km. So outback to jungle seemed appropriate. Saw SBS Dateline program on Afghanistan last night and there was to have been my first assignment with AVI. I met Dr Nouria in Melbourne - a lovely lady who I am sure is typical of most Afghanis.
I bought my day security guard Peter a puncture repair kit for his bike asde (yesterday). This morning he left at my door a huge pineapple and bundles of beans. The people here are just so respectful of themselves and their dignity and they treat foreigners like myself in the same way. Well most of them do. The conman is another case but people like that are present almost in any society. I still remember the Scotsman who conned me out of twenty English pounds. I'd hate to have it as an epitaph - here lies a con man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home