outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

storms

Electrical storms and blackouts over the last couple days brought patch the dog back inside last night. I was sitting at home reading Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy section on Saint Augustine when I became aware of of what sounded like noise constant as if from a freeway not far away. I thought maybe it was light rain so I checked outside. I no gat. I came back inside and shortly the power went off. I could still hear the noise. My experiece of storms in Western NSW was of hearing the rain on the roof of the wheat silo to be followed about a minute or so later by the rain's having arrived at the school. For a good twenty minutes or so I heard the noise and then the rain reached my place. Arriving at work this morning I saw water still lying on the grass so mystery solved. It had obviously rained very heavily up here on campus for the twenty minutes before I got it fifteen minutes walk away.
Blackouts which I did not miss over the summer holiday season are now starting to creep back into the work system - a couple on Friday, again yesterday, one so far this morning. I'll post this while I am in luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home