outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, February 03, 2006

the dog patch

This dog Patch has been passed on from several tenants now. I hope I am looking after him on only a temporary basis because I do not want full time responsibility for a dog to tie me down. The state of dogs here is such a sorry one - fleas, bone skinny, scabby, pathetic. I don't mind Patch. He doesn't say much though. Just wanders into my flat, looks around, flops down in a corner or when it thunders he huddles over near me. At night he wanders up the stairs and flops down in the corner of my room. I bought some dog mince and bones the other day and cooked them up with rice and other vegetables - its cheaper to do it that way than buy a tin of dog food. But the raw meat stinks! Stinks, Stinks my fridge so I froze it - seems to have stopped the problem. This diet also seems to have stopped Patch from stinking too. When I returned from holidays during which Patch had been a street dog for two weeks, he was flea riddled and stank. I gave him several baths and flea powdered him and his coat is shining and they tell me that is a sign of good health. I wonder if I should enter him in the Lae show? I'm not sure what his talents are.
Another poor dog just before Christmas I heard yelping in pain. I looked out my window and he was trying to get up a small embankment. I went and investigated and he could only move his front legs - his hind legs seem paralysed or maybe dislocated. That sort of thing makes me very squeamish - I couldn't look or even bring myself to help him: not a very moral act. But I went around to ask security if they had guns to put him down but it seems to be the case here that nature takes its course. It's ugly to look at while this happens though. I don't know if there is a better way. We are trying to euthanise people in the West now. Lucky Patch. Until I too have to move on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home