outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, February 13, 2006

how would you know

What makes PNG as it is? Many things are the same as Australia - I live in an Australian style house in a street full of Australian style houses with manicured lawns and hedges. But the yards have coconut, pawpaw and banana trees and pineapple bushes. The roads are pot-holed and streaked with red spittle from buai chewing. The women (meri) are shorter and slimmer 130cm tall, 35kg mass) often barefooted and carry a bilum bag by wearing the strap across their forehead with the bilum bag on their back stretched full with produce from the market. People walk more slowly in groups - it is not rare but unusual for people to walk solitarily. They wear logod clothing which in most cases have been bought from second hand clothing shops. When I first saw someone with a logod tshirt that I was familiar with I nearly committed a faux pas and asked if they knew so and so and then I realised that wearing a logo did not necessarily associate the wearer with the place. The Professor of Chemistry wears a State Rail uniform shirt for instance - State Rail of NSW Australia that is - when clearly he has never worked for State Rail.
Asde I saw the con -man again (bulsitman they call him in Tok Pisin). I said to him that I hadn't seen him near my house and he said he had shifted residence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home