outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, February 02, 2007

a paradox, that's what i was thinking of

Lae, so wet, you would not think there could be dust. But I came back to my house on Wednesday and the floors are just dusty. My haus meri came today - she was supposed to come yesterday and didn't and Joseph knew where she lived in West Taraka so he told her I was back when he went home from finishing night shift this morning. I forgot all about getting something for Peter and Joseph from Brisbane airport.
The fridge isn't working properly - freezer is going but the lower cabinet isn't. I killed six big cockroaches last night and this morning. There was one desiccated mouse under the lounge. Three or so sets of clothes and contracted mildew so I had to soak them in bleach. The floors are dusty and my feet are dirtier from walking around inside the haus - you can see my footprints up and down the stairs. I caught the balus bus in from Nadzab on Wednesday and it just stopped at about the 20 mile - half way in. We pushed it for a bit and bus cru were apologetic particularly to me the only wait man so I assured them liklik samting, noken wori. Finally we pushed it in reverse and it went. I bought groceries yesterday - K173.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home