outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, February 01, 2007

back in Lae

I did manage to get to a computer during my time away but along with my brother in law Bob whom I was helping to set up a blog for I could not log on. I have now changed my password and it seems to be working. Six weeks without logging on the WWWeb, forgetting pass words and log in addresses, remembering PINs, an uneventful holiday even, no permanent house to return to for a holiday. It didn't start off at all well. The night I left here I ordered dinner at the Gateway in PM - prawn kebabs. They brought out two skewers with six tiny prawns about two cms long. The waitress was so embarrassed to present this to me she filled up the plate with potato salad to make the "meal" seem a bit more respectable. Such miserliness and meanness is becoming our way of life. Coles and Woolies are big-noting themselves about making donations of their profits to the "Drought Fund" but these are the same misers who screw down the price of milk, eggs, peaches, potatoes they are prepared to pay to the farmers. For a 2 litre carton of milk, the farmers gets not much more than 30c. If he gets that.

1 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blarry expats. Sounds like the ones that hang around the Yacht club in Moresby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home