outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Sunday, December 10, 2006

the end of the year is fizzling out

I went to a farewell function last night to wish well Vivien, Robert, Richard and Dr Dialo as they leave their positions here for new adventures. As usual at a PNG feast there was so much to feast on. I made some chicken which did not turn out as well as I had hoped. A baste of oil, candied marmalade and soy sauce did not grab the chicken as it was supposed to. Luckily there were better cooks there than I. The stir fried veges turned out alright though.
I went over to get myself checked out for malaria this morning. They are very lovely Sisters who work in the clinic and because they are dealing with malaria all the time they are very knowledgeable about the different ways it manifests. I've got a dry cough and no other symptoms of cold. I am on erthmyocin or something like that anyway because I am allergic to penicilin based antibiotics and I thought perhaps that AB would kill off the malaria virus but the sister said it needed to be treated differently. So she took blood and will have it tested in the lab and I'll get the results this PM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home