outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, December 08, 2006

how much would you sell your soul for?

A guy asks a girl, Would you sleep with me for a thousand dollars? Yeah of course. What about a hundred dollars. Well maybe. What about a dollar? She slaps him and says What do you think I am, a prostitute? He replies, Well we've already established what you are, we're just haggling over the price.
Politics is very much like that. Us voters show that we are prepared to be bought and the election is about how much we value our integrity. The last election was about trust in which the government turned the word trust around. The people said We trust the government to run the economy well but we do not trust the government to tell the truth. But the truth doesn't matter to us as much as the economy matters. We don't mind if the government lies and lacks integrity so long as it keeps interest rates low.
Who would you trust in a life or death situation - PM Howard or Opposition Leader Rudd? If I think I know the way ahead and the only way I can convince you to follow me is by lying to you, would I be right to lie to you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home