outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, October 12, 2006

I was at a loss last night

when Robert asked me if I was going to the seminar about intermediate development strategies for Rural PNG. I had been to the seminar on Transparency International and so I went to this one. It was presented by Mr J. Maxtone-Graham and his presentation particularly on transport systems was informative and inspiring. Showing examples from around the world as in Vietnam, Chile, India and Africa, he suggested PNG ought to develop donkey, bike and wheeled carts technology. He says he buys in bikes from China for K198. I assume he onsells these. The spare parts for bikes is not yet established as business but a critical mass of bike technology would open up business opportunity in this area. Peter our guard has a bike but he can't get parts. He is trying to bearings. The condition of the roads wears the tyres out but Peter has found a way to put double tyres on and he patches up worn spots with punctured tubes. I've seen a few wheelbarrows but beast of burden technology (donkey carts) I think is yet to be developed. The point Mr M-G was making was that wheeled technology as in a bike could be used to transport goods if it was fitted with a frame or even pushed as the load bearing prime mover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home