outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Yesterday a pick pocket

tried to take advantage of me but he didn't get away with anything. I trust people and I hate being so defensive about possessions. What a contrast to the family of Eli who welcomed me in to their village in West Taraka last Saturday. Joe, Eli's father and all of his village people from Chimbu live together and they have a community elementary school for their own children as well as those from neighbouring communities. West Taraka is only about half an hour's walk from Unigate on the western side of the Bumbu river but it is in an area that has an unfortunate reputation, deserved or otherwise. We had a casual afternoon lunch and talk and it was a very pleasant way to share humanity. I am very appreciative that Joe and Eli and the whole family reached out to me in this way. I did not go for any anthropological study or awareness but Robert and Eli had heard me express a wish to be able to enter the private way of life of the owners of this country and that Joe's family enabled me to do that has a special significance and meaning for me.
On top of that, I went to catch a PMV truck to Lotu on Sunday morning. As I was about to get up on the back of the truck, the driver came and asked me to join him in the front. Normally I would feel as though I was being given special treatment but the PNG people like to feel they are treating a guest courteously. So I sat in the front. Most people are kind like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home