outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Sunday, August 06, 2006

when i drove rear dumps for

Chrysotile Asbestos, the FED&FA (Federated Engine Drivers and Firemans Ass'n) wanted us all to put in $50 for a fighting fund to support the Blackwater miners whose mining company's subsidised housing was going to be taxed by then Treasurer Howard. I was living in a caravan at the time and my wife was expecting our first baby Matthew. Wally Andrewski was Shop Steward and I told him I wasn't putting in $50 but I put in $50 to an alternative, Legacy. He was a brute and a thug with the muscles to intimidate anyone who didn't believe him. I don't know if he was a wife basher but that was the story. His character fitted that mould anyway.
I was scabbed from working overtime shifts. Wally was able to carry two shifts in the scab vote on me but my shift supported me. The money wasn't the issue. I gave mine to Legacy. The principle mattered to me because my parents did it as tough as anyone without subsidised housing and it seemed fair. Why was I, living in a caravan, going to protest against a tax policy which benefited someone living in a house? If you lived in a dog kennel, and I asked you to subsidise my living in a palace, how would you respond?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home