outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, August 04, 2006

to prove I am more enlightened

than you I must be noisier than you on enlightenment issues. Reformed non-smokers detest smoking and smokers more than never-smokers. Converted Christians are noisier than inherited Christians. Church-goers (not necessarily Christians, but Church goers who attend for appearances sake on account of their social standing) are noisier than Christians on moral issues.
The problem is that the unenlightened people present an image problem for the enlightened. I am a 58 year old man, divorced, and I would not like to have Philippines or Thailand stamped on my passport because in the minds of society, a 58 year old guy has been there only for one reason. In order to counter the prejudice in this matter, I have to be stridently vocal out of proportion in order to convince people I am not a deviant or pervert. Not that I am stridently vocal - I just don't visit those countries. My first boss at Brewarrina told us as young teachers: "Don't leave sticks lying around - then there is nothing anyone can hit you with!" Or don't make a fire - that way there is no smoke. Or don't make mud pies - people have none to throw at you.
I attempt to counter prejudice by pre-empting that there is prejudice. Maybe I think prejudicially myself and attribute unfairly to others that they are prejudiced?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home