outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

how embarrassing to realise

that all along I have no personality! I have to teach debating later on this semester and reading through a text I came across "without this (personality) the effort of speaking is largely wasted for no-one will be interested in listening." Personality is about making oneself recognisable as uniquely oneself and not someone else: one needs a reasonable knowledge of what one is talking about, a dash of self confidence, a sprinkling of personal charm, a generous portion of sincerity, and a large determination to make others understand his point of view!
In one of the sessions at Loloata I deliberately sat in the middle row and wondered who might come and sit next to me. The ends on either side filled up. Then an arm reached over and picked up the chair immediately on my left and the person moved it elsewhere! With body language as demonstrative as that I realised no-one wanted to sit on my left. Finally someone came in and sat on my immediate right.
On the other hand whenever I go to church I search out the loner and especially the newcomer who looks to be seeking. I sit with them for the cup of tea time. Others choose to mix with their peer groups.

2 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find this writing fascinating. The problem is that I can't work out where you are in reality and where you are in commentary. The genre seems to be diary but there are character type intrusions which sometimes seem autobiography and other times 3rd person. Is the diary real? You sometimes seem to - well I just don't know. I am fascinated. quixotic? eclectic? eccentric? whimsical? searching? true? I need to know more.

 
At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem to be familiar with a vast range of experiences. I don't know which ones are first hand and which are anecdotal: Lambeth, keg, canoe, dinner, debating? How can these hang together? Intriguing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home