outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Saturday, August 05, 2006

I think it would be a rare sight

back home. At 8.30 on a Saturday morning I was walking up to work and over in the Women's dorm area, there were young ladies say 19 -20 out with bush knives and digging forks doing gardening.
A story in The Recorder, the Univ paper earlier this week was about the young men having set up a garden in their dorm area as a reminder of their village traditions and of home and as an activity.
Some of the younger volunteers even do gardening as an activity and iy was the first thing Jeremy looked at when he returned for a visit in early June - to see how his garden was going. I'm not a gardener. My Father and two brothers in law are gardeners but the last gardening I did was about 30 years ago when I planted forty tomatoes out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home